Monday 26 December 2011

Full body

Bacon-wrapped sweet potato pucks (not mine)
First workout following a day of Christmas self-indulgence. Actually, I wasn't too bad at all. I ate a lot during dinner, but everything was a healthy choice: no starches, plenty of veggies and, of course, lots of turkey. My cousin/brother-in-law (!) cooked the turkey and some of the veggies, Cher made the various desserts, and I cooked spaghetti squash muffins and bacon-wrapped sweet potato pucks. People were skeptical about the pucks, but tried them nonetheless. Everyone enjoyed and devoured them, except for an overweight type 2 diabetic who said she wasn't going to eat bacon because it had too much fat and was therefore unhealthy. Clearly, that's where I'm going wrong with my nutrition, then. Never mind - they were fucking delicious!

======

Bear complex:
75 (x 2), 85, 95, 100, 105 (F rack jerk), 105 (F rack jerk)

Bollocks. This is starting to piss me off now; I keep failing at 105, even though I managed it once before a while back. I don't think this is an issue of strength, more likely technique (rack jerks are a relatively new move for me). Rather than take a break from these so I don't get disheartened by my performance, I think I'll keep persevering in the hope of improving my technique.

======

Hang power snatches:
45 (5), 70 (3), 85 (3), 90 (F), 90 (1), 90 (2)

Got there in the end and managed to equal my previous max weight. Again, this is a matter of technique as much as anything.

======

Relative max push-ups: 32, 20, 14, 12, 10

8 comments:

Paul French said...

I remember before on the bear complex I decided to go for 3 reps right through, it became a little bit of a conditioning thing, all reps were touch and go. Maybe give that a shot at some point as it'll help the body learn the motor pattern of the movement.

Also, I cant remember if I said this before, but I want you to focus on this a bit more, lockout strength....it's a weakness of yours often times you are able to push press a weight but fail to hold it any longer than a split second. Take 95 pounds, do one push press and hold it as long as you can overhead, as your body gets used to this position it should help with lockout strength.

Common Sense Design said...

What weight would you recommend I use for the bear complex if I do a 3 rep routine? And what kind of 95lb push press workout should I be doing for gaining lockout strength? Thanks!

Paul French said...

Hard to say, my best on the bear complex is 185, with a failed attempt at 195, and when I did 3 reps of it I got up to 135.

What do you mean by the second question? Its not a workout per say, just an additional exercise....load a bar up with 95 pounds, get it overhead and hold it there as long as possible, rest and perform 2 or 3 more times for up to 4 sets.

Common Sense Design said...

Actually, that answers the second question - I thought you meant an actual workout routine; I didn't realise you meant just a kind of strength test/exercise.

By the way, I lost 2lb over Christmas. Who the fuck loses weight during the holidays?! I'm back down to 140lb.

Paul French said...

hah I stayed the same, I'm not sure how many actually lost any weight though, probably as weird as someone losing weight on a vacation.

Common Sense Design said...

It's not as if I took it easy on myself. I ate two big servings of Christmas dinner, but stuck to healthy options: turkey, sweet potato wrapped in bacon, green beans, carrots, stuffing, cranberry sauce - all of these, twice. I didn't have anything starchy, like white potatoes, rice, wontons or chow mein noodles. However, I did have a huge serving of Cher's apple crisp.

Paul French said...

Whaaat, no apple pie? Well I guess apple crisp is close, that was my dessert too....proceeded by turkey, cranberries, potatoes, peas and corn, carrots and maybe bit more booze than necessary haha.

And chocolate...ya I didn't take it easy, hell it helped me pr on my deadlifts today!

Common Sense Design said...

Yeah, I saw your deadlift video. Pretty impressive!

I think Cher made the apple crisp with me in mind; i.e. oats, but no wheat flour. However, as good as it was - and it's very good - I would have enjoyed a regular apple pie as my Christmas treat. I probably would have sat in the corner with the entire pie in my lap, digging in with a big spoon.

Post a Comment