Thursday 29 December 2011

Conditioning

Today I attempted Monday's main site WOD, which - because it's all bodyweight moves - I thought would be well within my capabilities. Bloody hell, was I wrong!

Complete as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes of:
18 Box jumps, 24" box
15 Toes to bar
12 Pull-ups

Score = 2 rounds + 10 pull-ups

My score is 2 pull-ups short of 3 complete rounds. Only 3. Fuck, compare that to some of the scores that were posted. It was the t2b that killed me. I did these for the first time on Saturday as part of my 12 Days of Christmas, but only 2 reps per round. They felt pretty easy then, so how hard could 15 be? Plenty, as it turned out. I failed an awful lot of reps, more than I'm used to with any other type of routine. The first round wasn't too bad, taking breaks when I needed to. However, with both the second and third rounds I'd get fatigued pretty quickly, my form would falter and my legs would flail around all over the place. On the occasions when I rested enough I had the presence of mind to keep my feet close together and use controlled movements to swing up. I'd be able to do 3 or 4 consecutive reps that way. Rushing the t2b reps was my downfall. This is how it should have worked...

The box jumps and pull-ups went well, as I'm more experienced with these and knew when to rest and when to go. The first round of box jumps took just over 1 minute. The pull-ups were mostly doubles or triples. I think the whole of the first round took just under 5 minutes.

I'm disappointed because I usually perform better with bodyweight routines, but I learned a lot about how to approach a lengthy t2b routine, so this workout wasn't a complete failure.

======

I brought a list of 5 different routines to the gym, one of which is the WOD mentioned above. I planned on choosing which ones to do based on how I felt today, but I ended up ignoring them all for my second routine. I just decided to do these because I felt like it!

Max reps - 1 power clean and 1 front squat @ 95lb, resetting each time
6, 5, 5, 5, 5

For all of the reps I completed the clean before executing the front squat.

2 comments:

Paul French said...

Toe to bars suck, they are definately not to be underrated. I wouldnt be too worried about the low score, people who can string multiple t2b's in a row like see in the video can do workouts like that much easier.

Common Sense Design said...

I'm not too frustrated by my score. There were several people who scaled the workout - knees to bar or knee raises instead of t2b - and still didn't score too highly. This was certainly a learning experience, though. As I noted in my post, I've done box jumps and pull-ups so often I know when to listen to my body and rest when necessary. Because t2b are new to me I haven't picked up the cues yet. I know it's a different workout, but the last time I did Cindy I didn't fail a single rep on any of the 3 movements because I know when to rest and when to get moving. That's just something I'll learn with experience of t2b. I'm pretty sore today, so I know I worked hard!

Post a Comment