Saturday 11 May 2013

New Hamburg Classic Race: 5k


My third annual New Hamburg Classic, and my second consecutive crappy time. However, this time I'm less pissed at myself, for three reasons.

1. Last year, I over-prepared and over-thought the run, rather than simply going out and having a good time. I'm not an experienced runner, so why get upset about a slow run? This year, I felt relaxed before and during the run, and I just enjoyed the whole community-focused event.

2. This year, I started the race too slowly, and that cost me some time. The second half of my run was 98 seconds quicker than the first 2.5k, whereas I would have expected that to be the other way around. I ran up Hamburger Hill pretty quickly, and that was on the return part of the run. I think all the plyo leg work I've been doing paid off there. When I crossed the finish line, I was sprinting my ass off and I still had plenty of gas in the tank.

3. Despite a slower time, I somehow finished 3rd in my age category (40-49). Last year, a quicker time gave me a 10th place finish. No idea why there was a discrepancy this year.



No comments:

Post a Comment